Monday, May 17, 2010

Day 1 and copyright fun

Just finished my first day of ED5254 at Temple University. I got a good vibe from the instructor and my classmates. We already learned something very thought provoking about copy right law (and our misperceptions about it). Turns out all those warnings and threats we see and hear in books, before sports broadcasts and in movies come with some conditions. Educators have a lot more freedom to use, reproduce and alter this "copyrighted" material. As long as we are using it for educational purposes and not trying to profit from it, we can pretty much have at it. I am looking forward to utilizing this freedom in my teaching.
Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. I found the information about Fair Use for educators to be liberating. I'm glad to see that you understood that the information applies to educational settings. It does give you and your students a lot of freedom when deciding what materials to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I felt the same sense of liberation after last night's class.

    Hearing the real scoop on copyright law sort of clicked in my mind - "wait, this makes perfect sense, why doesn't everyone know about this?"

    It was one of the rare moments in life that I learned the way things should be are the way they really are...if that makes any sense.

    I am glad the wheels turned in your mind as well in terms of how you can immediately use this in helping reach the kids.

    ReplyDelete